The playoffs have arrived and thus so have the pet peeves of this goddess. Surprisingly it’s not the players and the excessive violence but the sportscasters and announcers that are grating on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Here are just a few items that are getting my goat this year:
- The stat du jour mentioned durning just about every game: “That was ‘so-and-so’s’ first playoff goal in ‘x’ number of years.” I’ve heard this multiple time this year. It’s almost always referring to a player who, for example, has played on horrible teams that either didn’t make it to the playoffs or were defeated in the first round, and hence have only played say, six playoff games in the past five years. How is that statistically significant for an individual player? Same with the assertion that a goalie, like Jose Theodore, hasn’t had a shutout in the playoffs in*gasp* 8 years. Guess what? You can’t stop goals from the golf course.
- Talking about the unacceptable headhunting and retaliation without mentioning Todd Bertuzzi, the man you single handedly ended not only Steve Moore’s career, but eliminated any chance for him to live a normal life. Has everyone forgotten the biggest thug of all?
- Mike Milbury talking about honor, and lack thereof. This coming from the man who I witnessed climb in the crowd and beat a fan – with the fan’s own shoe!
- Pierre McGuire name-dropping. We’re all really impressed that Wayne Gretzky texted you personally to tell you some arbitrary and obvious fact about the series you happen to be covering that day. There’s a reason McGuire’s one of the most disliked announcers in hockey.
- Not criticizing the poster child of the NHL, a.k.a. Sidney Crosby. The entire first melee began because Crosby slashed Bryzgolov’s glove not once, not twice, but three times after he clearly had it covered. Also, describing Sidney’s needless grabbing of Hartnell’s jersey and tugging at him when Hartnell clearly didn’t want to get involved, as “wrestling between Crosby and Hartnell.” Come on, we can all see what happened. Pictures don’t lie. Stop sucking up to the league and waiting for the network to give you permission to say something even slightly negative about him.
All this and we’re not even halfway through the first round! Have any of your own pet peeves these playoffs? I want to hear them!